Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not all moonlight and magnolia

This year marks the 50th anniversary of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It is one of my favorite books of all time, illustrating the period prior to the Civil Rights era, a sad time in Southern history. Lee's work is a progressive piece of literature for its time -- promoting equality, humility, and human kindness.

If you have never read the book, go get it now. No education is complete without reading To Kill a Mockingbird.



Currently, I am reading another book set in the time of the Civil Rights era, and it is remarkable. Rarely do I suggest a book that I have yet to complete, but The Help by Kathryn Stockett is fantastic. Hopefully, I will finish it tonight.

Staying up until nearly midnight again last night reading, it is literally one that you can't put down.

4 comments:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

mmm...Mockingbird may or may not have been the only book I was assigned in high school that I actually read. Loved it! It deserves another read though...maybe this summer.

I've heard good things about The Help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael said...

Actually, the book was published July 11, 1960 -- so you've got a couple months to go yet. But still, it's a great and enduring book!

Amanda said...

Thanks Michael...I made the correction.

Anonymous said...

mommy,

said not to kill mockingbirds cause they the state bird.