Monday, November 17, 2008

For Lulu

High up in the courts of heaven today a little dog angel waits;
With the other angels she will not play, but she sits alone at the gates.
"For I know my master will come" says she, "and when she comes she will call for me."
The other angels pass her by as they hurry toward the throne,
And she watches them with a wistful eye as she sits at the gates alone.
"But I know if I just wait patiently that someday my master will call for me."
And her master, down on earth below, as she sits in her easy chair,
Forgets sometimes, and whispers low to the dog who is not there.
And the little dog angel cocks her ears and dreams that her master's voice she hears.
And when at last her master waits outside in the dark and cold,
For the hand of death to open the door that leads to those courts of gold,
She will hear a sound through the gathering dark,
A little dog angel's bark.
~ Author unknown

No comments: